
Gary Lineker believes Cristiano Ronaldo should have stayed at Man United if he wanted to win another Champions League title.
Lineker claims that he cannot see how Real Madrid's new Galacticos can gel quick enough to win it all in Europe.
The former Barcelona forward insists that Ronaldo has made a mistake in joining Real Madrid, especially if he wants to lift the Champions League trophy again, after watching Los Merengues play in the Primera Liga's opening weekend.
"I had no problem with Cristiano Ronaldo joining Real Madrid this summer. Players want to move clubs for lots of different reasons. Sometimes they just fancy a fresh challenge," he wrote in his Mail on 'Sunday Column'.
"I understand that, I did it myself. But for this season at least, I think Ronaldo would have had a better chance of winning the Champions League if he had stayed at Old Trafford."
"[Madrid president] Florentino Perez tried it before, of course, but it did not work then, with Zidane, Beckham, Figo and the Brazilian Ronaldo because the balance of the team was not right. Great going forward - but always likely to concede goals."
"I can see the same problem for Real this season. I watched their first La Liga game, against Deportivo."
"They won 3-2 but it could have been 12-10. Real defended awfully and the top sides in Europe will fancy their chances, even though Ronaldo threatens danger at the other end."
"Manchester United will miss him. I do not buy the theory that losing Ronaldo has its upside because it frees up other players like Wayne Rooney. But what United have that Real lack is a balance in the team and a very strong defence."
"People talk about match-winners in the Champions League but if you defend well and do not concede goals, you are always likely to do well. It is what Liverpool's European success has been built on."
"I still make Barcelona favourites. Their forward line of Messi, Ibrahimovic and Henry, backed up by Iniesta and Xavi, is as good as Real Madrid's and their defence is better."
"But United and Chelsea will be major threats. Just ask John Terry, with time running out on him to make amends for that penalty miss in the 2008 final in Moscow."
"I will be hosting coverage for the television station Al Jazeera. It is going to be fascinating and exciting to see if Ronaldo and Real Madrid can prove me wrong."
No comments:
Post a Comment